Thursday, June 23, 2011

"CitiKitty", toilet training your cat...

So, as some of you know, I attempted to "toilet train" my cats. The system itself comes with fairly easy directions and seems very possible. However, with a 17 pound cat and a 7 pound cat, both were not sure how to exactly balance on the toilet.You are supposed to move the litter box into the bathroom, which I did. Then after a few days, switch their litter to flushable kitty litter, which they switched over with no issues. Then I was supposed to remove the box and place the insert for the toilet on the seat and place each cat in it so they knew where it was. The box said that it could take up to 24 hours for your cats to start using it.

So, I picked a day where I knew I'd be home so I could keep an eye out and reward them if and when they used it. Unfortunately, all they did was cry because they needed to use the litter box and did not want to use the toilet.

In the morning, the closest they got to it was defecating next to my toilet. Though this process takes time and effort, to me, scooping out a litter box is not that big of a deal. I'd rather that than my cats eliminate on my carpet until they decide to use the toilet, if at all. If I had a kitten, I would try this again to see if it would work. Until then my 7 year old 17 pound cat and 3 year old 7 pound cat will be just fine using the litter box.

If anything I realized this flushable litter is much better than having to collect the urine and feces until I throw it all out. I just scoop it and flush it. That was a major plus!

Do you have any products for me to review? Suggest away!

Until next time,

Rachel Husney, LVT

2 comments:

  1. I trained my cat to use the toilet successfully by modeling for him how to use the toilet. He has now mastered using the toilet himself with 100% success.

    Vet Tech

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is it important that you have the correct education, but it is extremely important that the education you receive is from an accredited that veterinary technician program. A veterinary technician with an Associates degree can expect a salary range between $20,000 and $38,000 per year while a veterinary technician with a bachelor’s degree can expect a greater salary that starts around $33,000 per year up to $42,500 per year. Veterinary Tech Salary

    ReplyDelete